Monday, December 10, 2007

Notice anything annoying?

My first post from my latest trip to the US (yes, I'm out here again at another meeting) is going to be a bit of a moan (can a free trip out to Boston satisfy me, hell no!) On looking at the BBC news website out here some rather large banner adverts appeared saying "Notice anything different?". "Why yes" I thought, "There are some excessively annoying banner adverts filling up large chunks of my screen.". It turns out that the BBC have decided that they need to generate some extra revenue and when viewing their websites from outside the UK you'll have to put up with the adverts. I could get round this by viewing the site through a UK web proxy, but I don't think I should have to. I suppose I'll just have to get used to them until I get home again.

On other notes it's bloody freezing out here, but I think it should be a fun meeting.

2 comments:

  1. Its been like that for a few weeks and seems to slow down the website a bit. Its bloody annoying but it does make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:46 am

    I heard about that. It kind of makes sense, since it is a UK licence paid service. However, I wish they'd make it a sign up system where if you're British, you can sign up somehow and access all the BBC content wherever you are, rather than having it IP based (which admittedly is cheaper and easier for them to implement).

    If you're using Firefox, you can install the Adblock extension which will get rid of all the annoying adverts (I think it should, anyway). I just recently installed it and it's very good.

    ReplyDelete